Way Back When

August 14, 1953
Miss Theo Willis was honored with a shower of beautiful gifts on her birthday, August 10, given by the Nencie Bevan Circle of the Methodist Woman’s Society. Rep. E B Jones entertained the works of the Vacation Bible School of both Greenville Baptist churches, Wednesday with a trip to Wakulla Springs. Madison is growing so that the one stop-light on Base and Range streets is not enough. When the new Valdosta-Troy road cut off is built through town, there will be additional need for a traffic light at the US 90 and Duval Street crossing, and it would not hurt to have a light now at the Country Kitchen, at Base and Shelby, Base and Horry, Base and Washington, Base and Meeting and Base and Parramore streets, as well as at Range and Pinckney and Range and Rutledge streets. The Washington and Livingston Street crossing is now a congested one, and there are other crossings that are getting to be more or less dangerous, though those named are perhaps the most important.

August 13, 1954
Mr. and Mrs. Julian Armstrong Bentley announce the engagement and approaching marriage of their daughter Martha Jane to Leslie Miller Buie son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Miller Buie of Madison, Fl. Miss Ann Rykard entertained a group of young friends at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. G F Rykard, with a game party in honor of Miss Patsy Mixon of Ocilla, Ga., who was visiting friends here. Mr. and Mrs. Johnny E Harrell of Tallahassee announce the birth of a son at the Memorial Hospital August 8. The little boy, who weighed 7 lbs. 14 oz., has been named Johnny Pendor.

August 12, 1955
Both cotton gins here, the Madison Milling Co. and the J C Burnette gin, were busy yesterday ginning fleecy staple. Up to yesterday about eighty-five bales had been ginned. Price was 35 c lb. for the lint and $40 per ton for the seed, with likelihood that the seed price would advance. Wells Furniture Company is celebrating their 33rd anniversary of business in Madison, with a store wide sale beginning Saturday, August 13th. Fire destroyed all the equipment in the Betty and Turner Grocery in Greenville Wednesday morning, but volunteer firemen succeeded on putting out the blaze before the building was burned. Most of the stock was saved. The fire is thought to have started from a short circuit in the motor of a meat box.

Share this:

error: right click disabled!!