As you deck the halls this holiday season, be fire smart.
A small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly.
One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical failures.
Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.
A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every five of the fires.
Picking the tree: Choose a tree that has fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
Placing the tree: Before you place the tree in your stand cut two inches off the bottom of the trunk to help ensure that the tree will absorb water. Check and refill the water in the stand every day.
Make sure that any type of tree is three feet away from any heat source, such as space heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, candles or lights.
Make sure that the tree is not blocking an exit.
Lighting the tree: Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratory (UL). Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Close bedroom doors at night and make sure that you have working smoke alarms!
Any group(s) that would like to have someone come out and speak about any fire safety topic please contact Chief Bruce Jordan (850)253-5117 or email:email@example.com
Information provided by www.nfpa.org.