Category: History

First appeared in the March 10, 1961 issue of the Madison Enterprise-Recorder. In 1844, the first real estate development in Madison County occurred. Within a short distance from the Suwannee river, which had not yet become famous by Stephen Collins Foster’s immortal song and in the very shadows of what, thirty years later, would be…

Remembering Richard J. Mays

Concord Missionary Baptist Church was constituted on June 20, 1841 after Richard Johnson Mays recognized the need for a church in the north end of Madison County. Mays donated 20 acres of his own land for the church site and the church first ordained Mays as a deacon. In October of 1841, Mays was also…

error: right click disabled!!