By Jacob Bembry Greene Publishing, Inc. Set about halfway between the city limits of Madison and town limits of the quaint, little but proud hamlet of Lee is a white framed church. Directly across US Highway 90 from the church is a rustic cemetery, which has been cared for by the families of the deceased. Abundant in history, the church has stood at its current home base for three centuries. Macedonia Baptist Church has seen the latter part of the 19th century, the entire 20th century, and, so far, the first part of the 21st century. During the Great Depression, as part of President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal program, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was created. A total of $15,500,000.00 (15.5 million) was allocated to archive the history of churches throughout the country. A number of Madison County churches were archived by the WPA, including Macedonia Baptist Church. According to the WPA record, which may have been collected by WPA worker Margaret Jones in 1936, the church was started in 1860 and was later incorporated at an unknown date. The first services were held in a log church, which was located across the road from the present church, which was erected in 1890 and dedicated in 1894. The church was repaired in 1927 and additions began to be added in 1932. Rev. J. Woodward was the first settled pastor of the church and served in that capacity from 1860-1862. At the time, the WPA records were published, Rev. Jas. A. Nichols was the pastor of the church. A graduate of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., his address was listed as P.O. Box 116, Madison. The church, which was listed as a quarter-time church, meeting on the fourth Sunday of each month, boasted a membership of 233 people. Church records from 1890 to the present were in the custody of M.C. Woodard, of Madison, the church clerk. The records, which were in two volumes, showed the minutes of business meetings, the membership roll, baptisms and deaths of church members. The church register, in the custody of Rev. Nichols, showed the membership roll, the baptisms and the deaths of church members. The church financial records, from 1890 until the time the WPA report was filed, were in the custody of the church treasurer, O.A. Henderson, of Lee. The financial records showed the receipts and disbursements of the church. There were six volumes of Sunday School records listed for Macedonia Baptist Church in the WPA archives, dating from 1890. These records showed the pupils, officers, teachers, attendance, collections and disbursements. They were in the custody of Nonie Milford, of Madison, the church secretary. There was one volume of Women’s Missionary Union (WMU) records, dating from 1930. These records listed the members, the minutes of the meetings, the collections and the disbursements. They were in the custody of Mrs. Charlie Milford, of Madison.