Salmonella Linked To Ground BeefJan 28th, 2013 | By Submitted | Category: Health
Submitted by Kimberly Allbritton, Madison County Health Department
· A total of 16 persons infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium have been reported from five states.
· The number of ill persons identified in each state is as follows: Arizona (1), Illinois (2), Iowa (1), Michigan (9), and Wisconsin (3).
· 53 percent of ill persons have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported.
· Collaborative investigative efforts of state, local, and federal public health and regulatory agencies indicated that ground beef produced by Jouni Meats, Inc. and Gab Halal Foods are likely sources of this outbreak.
· Seven of the ill persons reported eating a raw ground beef dish at the same restaurant before becoming ill. The restaurant served raw beef to customers and had acquired the raw beef from two retailers.
· On Jan. 24, 2013, Jouni Meats, Inc. recalled approximately 500 pounds of ground beef products.
· On Jan. 25, 2013, Gab Halal Foods recalled approximately 550 pounds of ground beef products.
· Consumers should not eat raw or undercooked ground beef.
· CDC recommends that consumers do not eat recalled ground beef products and that they dispose of any remaining recalled product in their home or return the product to the place of purchase.
· This is especially important for children under the age of five years, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems because these people are at a higher risk for serious illness.
· Consumers should check their freezers for recalled products and not eat them.
Our DOH Office of Communications team has prepared basic templates / resources on Salmonella for your use, which are located on the CERC Portal at http://dohiws/Divisions/DEMO/CommsCERC/commsalmonella.html.
Please contact the Office of Communications at (850) 245-4111 with any questions. We will continue to keep you posted on any new developments.
Hue Reynolds, Communications Director
Ashley Carr, Press Secretary
Florida Department of Health