Pinetta UMC To Celebrate 125th Anniversary And HomecomingOct 20th, 2011 | By Submitted | Category: Church
Submitted by Debra Brown
Pinetta United Methodist Church
Come and join us on Oct. 23 at 11 a.m. as we celebrate the 125th anniversary of the founding of the church. Rev. Bo Sim will be the guest speaker. There will be a dinner following the service. Former members and the public are invited.
Pinetta United Methodist Church began in 1886 with services in the Washington School House. The original name was Bethel Church and it was located two miles west of Pinetta. The congregation moved to Pinetta in 1905 and became the Pinetta Methodist Episcopal Church South.
In 1936, the State Road Department moved the church to make way for a new highway. This was a more desirable location because the church now faced the new highway.
In the early 1960s, a building fund was started and the present church building was dedicated in 1964.